Friday, June 5, 2009
Parade of Homes
One of our favorite recreations is to tour the annual Parade of Homes. This year, there are fewer extravagantly huge homes, which is due to the economy, I suppose. Anyway, it's easier to pretend myself into these slightly more modest homes. And the color schemes are lighter and less brown, this year, too. However, we went to one house Thurs. that tried to be a French Museum (priced at 2.6 million, unfurnished). Almost every piece of furniture was a French antique (many from a store/gallery in Salt Lake and some belonging to the owners of the house who are collectors). The walls were graced by dozens of 19th century paintings, and there were European knick-knacks everywhere. It was mostly tasteful--and Dad and I felt we had just apparated to France. Balconies, French doors, copper pots, you name it. And the floor plan was gorgeous, with one of those graceful staircases that spirals down into a generous entry. There's a mosaic tile pattern on the floor, of course, and piano music piped all through the house...it was a treat! The owner-guy was in the dining room and admitted his wife was French--and he was a furniture maker who prefered the French style and proportions. If I had money, would I spend it on antiques? On a big showcase house? No. But I may be a unique antique, myself. If you had money, would you turn your house into a museum? Or some other passion?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm at the point in life where I have to be very responsible with money. If I had enough money and paid off all my debt (like that pesky mortgage), I'd build my dream home; a blue non-mansion with a white wrap-around porch on 1 acre of land. Not that I've thought about that much. Then I'd set up savings accounts for our family and possible emergencies. Then I'd go to Disneyland.
I am sure this doesn't surprise you, but I am in love with old things, and antique furniture is not exception, though It would not extend beyond tables, dressers, a grandfather clock, and similar. I would love a museumy house.
Post a Comment