Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Grandkids, Again

Okay, I know every child develops according to their own clock. That's part of the fun of being the observer. But even so, there are some terrific surprises. While I was staying with Simon last Saturday, I was startled to discover that he not only recognizes the critter, but can clearly pronounce "octopus." This is the child who is just as good at identifying most of the alphabet. Then there is Sarah, whose reading vocabulary is influencing her general speech--to our delight. She pronounced last week, "Well, I declare, I'm feeling a trifle bit better!" And not too long ago, she confided to me,"I'm pretending to be a nerd." I enjoy Emily's obsession with all things "princess" and the remarkable talent Christopher has assembling Legos. The only thing better than being a parent is being a grandparent. I get to see some things repeated; but incredibly fresh stuff as well. For example, when Jordyn and Taylor sang "Do, Re, Mi" I remembered performing the same song with my cousins for our parents. Yet, these little girls add a whole new dimension. And remarking Whitney's great stage presence recalls her dad playing James Bond with the Jr. High Swing Choir. And some things are just as potent as ever, no matter the kid it comes from. Like little Alyssa who reached up to give me a spontaneous hug and kiss in the middle of our dinner party and said, "I love you, Grandma." Yup. I love my kids--all of 'em.

No comments: