Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Kinderdijk


(Note: a polder is the land that is reclaimed from the sea by the pumping action of the windmills in the Netherlands. The miller's family lived inside the windmill, and were usually pretty poor; but the miller had a strong bond with his mill, and often passed on the job to a son. This painting is in oil, 10 X 8.)
"I love the wind," says Papa.
His hands fist around the ropes
to shift the blades
beating above us
in the gray sky.

Here in the polder,
the windmill and Papa
are partners--
pumping the sea
to the horizon.

"I hate the wind," says Mama.
Her hand fists around the spoon
to stir the soup.
It is too weak
to keep us full until breakfast.

Here in the polder,
the windmill and mama
are rivals,
paddling to the rhythm
of Papa's heart.
Linda G. Paulsen 2010

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I love this painting and the poem that goes with it.

Shannon said...

Oh and also, Alan thinks this is your best work ever.