Sunday, August 2, 2009

Where Some Wild Things Are


California still calls to the adventurer. There is something magical about miles of sand, stone, sea and sun that appeals to the soul in a way that nothing else can do. The song of ocean surf sings its siren melody, and I am lost in the beauty and peace of it. Wildlife is everywhere, most of it with wings or flippers. How can one not feel refreshed and cheerful after a few days in such company and in such a setting? Here's a bit of our beach experience for you to share. These elephant seals hang out here in the summer months to molt. We could see a couple of them goofing off in the water, honking and splashing. What a treat to witness such a scene!

2 comments:

Ami Paulsen said...

They're so cute! I think I'd go over and pat one on the tummy. Did you go pat one on the tummy?

Linda G. Paulsen said...

We weren't allowed past a rope barrier to get any closer than you see here. And they made a mighty stink. I think if I'd gotten close enough to pat one on the tummy I'd have fainted from the BO overload. And they were SO BIG! What if he decided to roll over while I was patting him? I'd have been aquished!