Thursday, August 6, 2009

Walking in the Sand

I had a "metaphor message" while watching the birds at the beach. While plodding along in the dry, safe, warm sand, making very little progress and working hard to get it, I noticed that the birds were busily and industriously focused at the edge of the surf. They were much better able to move in the wet sand. So I moved toward the ocean. Sure enough, I could walk better in the wet stuff, too. But there was some risk. The birds and I had to stay pretty alert or get bowled over by the waves. As long as we paid attention, we could skip out of the way of the dangerous waves and have a great time. The birds even found snacks. I found cool shells and rocks. It was worth it to walk in the wet sand as long as I stayed focused. Now, isn't life like that? If we want to progress, we have to accept the risk of a few waves, even get our feet wet. But the rewards only come when we keep dealing appropriately with challenges. We don't get very far nor get much nourishment out of "staying dry." And we have to stay alert, focus on the purpose or be overwhelmed.

No comments: