Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Question of Color

I wonder what makes us prefer certain colors over others? It isn't the influence of our mothers; I have always liked different colors than my mother's favorites. In fact, when I was finally old enough to verbalize my preferences, she was rather shaken to discover that her taste and mine didn't mesh--and I'd not been comfortable with the yellow check, the pink and yellow print and similar choices she'd painstakingly sewed into my dresses. And it's not based on what looks good on you. My husband consistently likes to wear khaki browns, warm reds etc. even though he looks better in blues and burgundy. And his favorite color isn't necessarily what he wears, anyhow. However, judging by Emily, one's favorite color is worn by one's favorite Disney princess. What if you don't have a favorite Disney princess? What if you don't like Disney? And it's not the colors you grow up with--my own home being warm with golds and olive green; though I loved the aqua kitchen much better than the bright yellow one. (Mom decorated my bedroom in bright yellow once...I wonder if that's why I had such trouble with nightmares?) Anyhow, I read somewhere that psycologically, the calmingest color is hot pink. But I don't know if that's the way you choose favorites... Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I love lavender best and cool colors after that, including pink. I think I heard of a personality test once that used colors and patterns you like to determine your personality type. Do you think there's anything to that?

Eric said...

I like bright, strong colors. Green, blue, red, orange. But not light green, light blue, etc.
Hot pink does not seem calming to me at all. Calming to me would be softer colors, off white, light yellow or blue. Nothing red or pink.

I would believe there was a connection between color preference and personality.

Ami Paulsen said...

My favorite color depends on what I'm doing. For example; in decorating, I always use red. My favorite color to wear, is baby blue. If I could pick a car, I'd pick a lime green one.
It also depends on my mood and situation. For example; I am obsessed with red, but after Christmas, I am so sick of red I want to remove the red-seeing cone section from my eye. It doesn't last long though.
I also agree that favorite colors have nothing to do with people. My mom would paint the world purple if she could and that's one of my least favorite colors. My best girl friend would paint the whole world pink. Again; not something I would do.
That said; I think Hot pink may be my least favorite color in the world.

Wendy Lady said...

Blue has always been my color of choice. However, over the past several years my favorites have begun to include greens. I've always tried to stay away from pink, but I've finally admitted that when it comes to clothing, it is the color that enhances my skin tones best. So ... I now shop for pink.

I recently took a personality test and it indicated that I was a "brown." I was aghast to think that I had a "drab" personality, but in all honesty, all the pieces fit. I guess that if the shoe fits, I'd better wear it!