Saturday, January 10, 2009

Wake up and Smell the, um Hoofprints...

I've been working on my manuscript "Lessons with Annie." Sometimes I don't realize I know something until I start talking or writing about it. As I've been remembering walking with Annie, I've recognized some interesting things. When Annie got her daily long walk out on the mountain, she'd stop to sniff and enjoy the details. She chased bunnies and romped with antelope. She would be content and well-behaved the rest of the day. If this walk was eliminated from her life for too many days, she got restless, mischievous and started to chew up her leg.
Even when she was old and arthritic, she forced herself to get up (painfully) and took her shorter walk around the block. Still she sniffed things and got great pleasure from it. But as she made her way, she loosened up enough that by the home stretch she was walking better, faster and easier. Sometimes she felt so much better that she'd come home and dig a hole.
The applications are pretty obvious. Something to think about...

2 comments:

Eric said...

If you're suggesting I would get more out of life if I took a daily walk around the block sniffing things, I am going to have to disagree.

Linda G. Paulsen said...

Okay, Amelia Bedelia. But, even literally, it's not an all bad idea...