Okay, I'm admitting right up front that this blog is a vent/preachment. Even when I was a younger woman with children at home, I was alarmed and frustrated by the other mothers around me, who poorly modeled and completely skipped teaching certain principles of behavior to their children. It used to bug me that kids were allowed to swing on the stage curtains at ward dinners. It annoyed me that young women never had service opportunities, and that scouts spent way too much time playing basketball. I worried that these children would become selfish and irresponsible. Well, I guess I shouldn't be so surprised to be proven right. Now the children are grown up, and don't even know what they're missing. They mean well; but they don't have the experience or the training they need to model correct principles.
In my ward calling, I'm responsible for the transition of young women into Relief Society. As we have visited with the YW presidency about a plan to accomplish this, it has become apparent that these leaders are clueless in some ways. They have not been "converted" to Relief Society, themselves. Service takes a back seat to fun. Vanity is more a priority than charity. And we're launching another generation of youth with tremendous potential, undermined by incomplete parenting/leadership. And I don't know what to do about it. Aaaargh!
Monday, May 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment