Thursday, August 14, 2008
Molly Mormon rides again
I helped at a funeral this week. The assigned sisters arrived at about 9am to put paper on the tables (already set up the night before), to roll the plasticware into napkins, put out the cups, etc. By 9:30 the food started to arrive. The fridge filled up with jello salads (not one was green), tossed salads (those were) and dressings. The ovens were full of "funeral potatoes" and roast beef that had been left over from a stake High Priest's social the week before. The counters had stacks of dish cloths and ziplock bags among the cakes and rolls. While the sisters waited for the funeral to finish, they cleaned out the cupboards and sorted through homeless dishes. I led the music at the funeral. When the family returned from the cemetery, they were quickly able to sit down to a lovely meal. This scene is typical of Relief Society service. It's been perfected over time and practice. Peggy, the octogenarian chairperson, has been doing this for many years. Even though she's suffering with kidney failure, she wouldn't allow anyone else to take over her job. We tried to ease her workload where we could. Even so, it was nearing 3:30 when I escorted her and her pile of dirty towels etc. to her car. It made me think about the way people truly care for each other in the Kingdom. Peggy and I are visiting teaching partners. The lady who died was one of ours. "I'm showing her my love by my actions," Peggy told me. "It is my final service to her." Just because it's incredibly common, we should never take for granted the sweet loving service of good women. Have you thanked those who serve you, lately?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Um, thanks Mom.
Service until the end...
Whoa. I didn't necessarily mean me. I was talking about people like Peggy. But thanks, Shannon. Can't imagine what hidden message Jacob is trying for...
Post a Comment