Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The "Twilight" Books

First, I admit to being very skeptical about any book featuring vampires being acceptable reading. But, since Shannon, who is just as persnickety as I, virtually insisted (she bought me the book as a gift), I gave in and read. I was surprised. Now that the series is completed, I will do a book review on the set:
These are the modern equivalent of the gothic novel, the "Wuthering Heights" of our time, if you will. The heroine is likable, flawed, and develops through the book into strength, beauty and maturity. The hero is dangerous, mysterious, and handsome beyond the value of our mousy narrator. But somehow, he loves her. He "saves" her, from all threats and from her own insecurities. There is a moral theme. Like the Bronte books, or Daphne du Maurier, Victoria Holt, etc., girls eat it up. Guys tolerate it at best.
That said, what about the other stuff? I categorize it as fantasy, rather than occult. It never offended me. However, I did find the violence a bit graphic. This is not appropriate reading for the young. The sensuality is intoxicating to the romantic female, but, again, stops short of being offensive because it never crosses the line--sex doesn't happen till after the wedding, and the details are carefully controlled.
Personally, I liked the story. I'm a first class Romantic. But it doesn't thrall me like the younger women I know. Much like the still younger girl obsesses over Disney princesses, their hearts are still vulnerable to the "dream come true" story. And this one is well done. I would not go so far as to "recommend" it; but I allow it in my home library. Frankly, I like Harry Potter better.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Well, I liked it far better than the Harry Potter books. I thought the Potter books delved into a deeper evil than I like to read about and although the adventure and good guys winning made it a fun read I've never been interested in rereading them past book 3. The Twilight books add adventure and romance and that has me hooked, I admit it.

Ami Paulsen said...

I agree with you on the Harry Potter front. I am re-reading them and I still can't believe how amazing they are. It was as if JK Rowling knew every detail of all 7 stories before even beginning the first. It had a "moral of the story" type ending and can bring out different emotions in everyone. That woman sure can tell an amazing story!
That said; I definately fit into the category of being a Twilight addict. I read the first three in one week, visited the website frequently, scanned the internet for any document I could find with the words "Edward" and "Bella," and even cursed my mailman for not delivering the 4th and final chapter to my house sooner. The last two days I've been a neglectful mother, continuously giving Simon a bottle so I could read without feeling guilt. I am glad it's over though. I feel I've read enough and don't need more. I've had my fix. I sure would like another Harry Potter book though. :)