Friday, May 30, 2008

I have had a medical adventure the last couple of weeks the likes of which is unique to my experience (and likely unique to anyone who would be reading this). Who was the creative genius that woke up one morning and said, "I know, when the retina of the eye detaches, we'll just insert a bubble of gas through a needle. The bubble will push the retina back into place and all will be hunky-dory!"? You must admit it's peculiar.
Which makes one consider some other bizarre procedures, such as burning off warts with liquid nitrogen, or inserting plastic straws into the neck to help out the heart. We live in an amazing world.
Perhaps you are aware of medical oddities you could list...

3 comments:

Linda G. Paulsen said...

I'm not really aware of anything but Michael Jackson would know. He is a medical oddity.

Ami Paulsen said...

I think that whole lipo-suction thing is pretty weird. "Let's just suck that fat right out!" I'm glad people have come up with all the medical oddities though. Who knows what they will come up with next?

Shannon said...

What about using ants to hold skin together? And I love how the maggots (certain ones) are used now to clean out infected wounds. Gross!