Thursday, April 18, 2013

Realizing a Dream

Moving to Utah was a "dream come true" in many ways for me.  I'd like to reflect on just one:  art opportunities.  For someone like me, with health issues and limited energy, developing my artistic talent often takes a back seat to the regular duties of life.  But, at least living in Springville, aka Art City, there was the momentum and encouragement to  move forward in becoming better--even to becoming professional.  There are so many artists in Utah.  I have met big names, such as James Christensen, Greg Olsen, Michael Coleman, Robert Barrett, Gary Kapp, Brian Kershiznik, Liz Lemon Swindle, Robert Marshall, Al Rounds, J. Kirk Richards, Linda Curley Christensen and others with only slightly less glowing reputations.  But the biggest thrill has been to have my art hang in the same exhibits as these stars.  Several times, I've been accepted into the Springville Museum's Spiritual and Religious Show, which takes place every fall.  It's an honor to hang in that premier showcase for Utah art, any time.  However, the most elite exhibit is their annual Spring Salon, which attracts up to a thousand entries each year.  One of my greatest hopes has been  to have my art included in this exhibit.  I've entered every year, since moving here, without getting in.  Until this year!  Can you imagine my thrill to finally see my name on that list?  It is
a label of success!  I bawled all day...and now and then ever since.  It means someone with clout and critical savvy found my painting to be good enough for this prestigious event.  Oh I know the jurying process is subjective, political, and influenced by all kinds of things over which I have no control.  That's why I keep entering after years of rejection.  The hope, the possibility is always there.  Finally, it has happened, and I am on a cloud.  The annual Art Ball, which is the official opening reception of this exhibit, has always been a signature event for me.  This year, it is, a tiny bit, in my honor!  This is the painting that won me this thrill:  "Joyful Noise" 9 X 12 pastel.   And it couldn't have a better title.

3 comments:

Eric said...

Congrats Again Mom! This is awesome.

Ami Paulsen said...

We are very proud of you!! Love you! :)

Linda G. Paulsen said...

AND it SOLD! :)