Friday, October 14, 2011

My Life in Pictures


Reviewing blog posts, my journal and my Facebook status' I've come to realize that much of my life is chronicled by whatever art I've been producing, exhibiting and selling. If a picture is worth a thousand words, I wonder what I'm telling about myself? It's easy to conclude I measure much by whether a painting turns out well or if it wins a prize somewhere. And, of course, the image is often biographical. The story behind producing a painting is often an allegory for other areas of my life. Take this little piece: "Watching for Bluebirds," which is a pastel rendering from the recent Plein Air Provo competition. I was reluctant to participate. Steve was in Calif. and had lost his driver's license at the airport--I had to mail his passport so he could come home. My washer quit spinning that week. Trying to paint outdoors was challenged by rain, snow, cold and limited time. I scratched the first piece of glass trying to frame the finished product, and broke the second. I had some long, heavy phone calls that took time and energy I couldn't really spare. A 2-day headache made everything harder. I accidentally locked myself out of the house. I dropped and "killed" the newly baked apple pie which was intended to cheer my mother... the list could go on. BUT at the end of the week, this little painting won a 3rd place award in the exhibit. Steve returned safely, found his license, and gave a patriarchal blessing to a lovely recipient bringing a sweet spirit to our home. See all the parallels? Are you looking for the bluebirds in this painting? They aren't visible. But I know they're there.

No comments: