Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"Let Them Eat Cake"


This painting of a Paris bread and pastry shop is now part of "PORTALS"--my solo exhibit at Terra Nova Gallery. This is the largest and maybe most ambitious of the paintings there. So it rated a poem--and the poem is on the wall beside the painting.

"Let them eat cake!" A phrase they take
seriously in Paris. (All
can recall what did befall
The Queen.) Yet still the bakers bake

Still will the public undertake
to savor every crumb and flake.
While biscuits, baguettes, buns fall
prey, some still say, "Let them eat cake!"

In spite of Antoinette's mistake,
in spite of risking stomach-ache,
served after school or work or ball,
in summer, winter, spring or fall,
will Paris populace partake,
as She decreed, "Let them eat cake!"

2 comments:

Eric said...

Nice. I like the painting and the poem.

Shannon said...

I do too, and I like cake.