Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Not in the Dictionary
I love words. Most of you know that. Hence these communications suit me well. So, today I'm thinking about words we use to say something that doesn't have words. For example, in a book, the heroine says if she ever married the fellow, it would be to listen to him talk "piffle." Lovely word. And the British word (used in Harry Potter) for kissing and groping, "snogging" is rather picturesque. What about some of the onomatopoetic words that describe sounds, like "whoosh," or "pocketa, pocketa" (from the short story, "Walter Mitty"). I often make up such words, with joy, as did Lewis Caroll ("frabjous" "caloo" "callay"). So what words make you "Ca-ching!" ? Aren't words just supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Holy Mousekins! is one of mine. Alan's family introduced me to several including but not limited to, insegredient which means ornery stubborn behavior.
Post a Comment