Saturday, July 12, 2008
Second Childhood
I love toy castles and stuffed animals, dolls and tiny furniture. I prefer children's literature. I like swings and sidewalk art. I take out my wand and do "magic." I dress up--even when grandkids aren't around. I went out in the front yard last Sunday evening and invited the little neighbor boy to come over and toss ladybug-beanbags at the painted sunflower board with me. (Pretty soon his 3 other brothers had joined us). When we travel, I like to visit toy stores. In Portland, I bought a stuffed bush baby and a hedgehog. I spend hours every few weeks changing the outfits on all my dolls. The only thing that worries me about this is that I have apparently passed on this eternal childhood syndrome to certain of my kids. I'm not sure their spouses completely appreciate it. But one thing for sure, I know how to have fun with nothing more than a big box (I just need a bigger box than I used to). Surely that's not all bad?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think that's great! I know what you mean. I love now having an excuse to do childish things (though I did them anyway). At times I see that come out in Jacob as well. Though with him, if something plugs in, it's automatically more fun. I think it's important to keep those ties from childhood and you can help me pass those on to my kids. :)
What's the matter with playing with all the toys now that I didn't play with earlier? And playing with some of the toys I played with as a child too? Now that there are finally girls in my life!
Post a Comment